Austin- Austin is generally a really good kid. I honestly look at some behavior of other children and I think, "Wow, Austin is a genuinely well behaved child." And then other times I get so irritated with him I could scream. (And then I do). The main problem Austin and I have is that he doesn't like to pick up after himself. I know that is a perfectly normal thing, but I just worry that he is lazy. If there is a mess in his room he is quick to blame someone else. He wants friends over, but then when they leave and he is responsible for the mess he throws a fit. Austin is usually very mature for his age, and then every once in a while he likes to throw me for a loop and throw a tantrum like a three year old. I guess he is just making sure I don't get too comfortable parenting him.
Austin had his first wrestling tournament with the "big dogs." They are kids that are in a community wrestling club since they could walk. Austin really likes it, and has natural ability, but these kids are just quicker and stronger than he is. He knows he has a lot to learn and is working hard so he can win. I was really proud of the way he handled it. It was in Federal Way, and we spent an entire day there. He had four matches and lost every single one. I thought for sure he would never want to try again, but that night he was more jazzed up about wrestling than he had ever been when he was frequently winning his matches. He wore his singlet around the house practicing moves on Ellie. She enjoys that for about a minute.
Ellie- Ellie is an early riser. I get so frustrated with her because she just wont sleep past about 6:15 in the morning. She usually will come into our room and watch TV for a bit while I try to doze. Her preschool program is in the afternoon, so she isn't napping and since she is up so early she is ready for bed by 7 or 7:30, which makes her wake up early the next morning again. Its a vicious cycle.
Ellie is working hard on learning to read and spelling words phonetically. The other day she came and said, " I know how to spell after, a,f,t!". I was proud that she could put those three sounds together. She is able to read three and four letter words as long as there are no tricks to them, and now we are working on sight words. I remember going through these steps with Austin and now he is reading well above grade level.I hope Ellie has the same ease of success in reading.
There are certain things about Ellie that I appreciate and sometimes take for granted. She is a generally hard worker and likes to help. If I come back from town with grocery's she will help bring things in without being asked. She also will try most new foods and I love that. The other day she was dipping mushrooms and cucumbers in ranch and chomping away. Its nice to not argue about trying new foods.
Jaxon- Jaxon is growing up so fast. I love hearing his sweet voice saying new words. He is speaking very very well.Potty training is going better everyday. This morning he did 4 pees and a poop on the potty and even told me that he had to go at one point. Hurrah! I hope we have bought our last case of diapers, at least for daytime use.
He is such a funny boy! He likes to close himself into rooms or closets and then knock on the door to let me know he is stuck in there. If he shuts himself in the laundry room he sticks his arm through the doggy door hollering for "mom!". It cracks me up. Jax still loves motorcycles so Daddy likes to take him out to the garage to sit on them. I saw Chase taking him for his first motorcycle ride down our little street, and it freaked me out. I just had to relax though because I know that Chase loves him just as much as I do, and will protect him with his life. I know he would never put him in danger. It still raised the mommy anxiety a little! When I went out when they stopped, Jax was very happy and loved that ride with his Daddy.
Charlie- The dog is doing great. He really is a good puppy and I am so happy that we went with that breed. He is smart, gentle and so so cute....
Here are some things I have learned about having a dog.
1) poop is much easier to scoop when it is freezing outside.
2) I have 50 % less sweeping to do.
3) giving the dog too many treats gives him diarrhea
4) Having a dog teaches your kids good lessons on responsibility
5) Lap dogs keep you warm while watching TV.
And here are things Charlie has learned about being a Gilbert
1) The babies hands always taste good.
2) If the world gets too chaotic, hiding in the kennel is a good idea
3)The best chance of scoring dropped food happens under the babies chair at the table
4)Jessica never shares her food.
5)All three kids love puppy kisses on the face.
I love the visualization of Jax sticking his hand through the doggie door. Your kids (and you) really rock!
ReplyDelete