Thursday, April 29, 2010

A letter from Austin's PreK Teacher

Today I came across some letters in my "stuff to keep" folder in my email. I Thought I would share them here. I loved his Preschool Teacher so much. I loved the letters she used to write me about Austin because she noticed things about him that even I, his mother, failed to notice. She would take the time to address any concern a parent may have about their child which is where many of the emails started. Many of you know that she passed away at the end of Austins second Preschool Year with her. We still miss her.

Hi Jessica!

I applaud you for taking such good care of Austin! Many children walk a rough road (being in the day care profession, I'm sure this is no secret from you) because they lack the support needed from family--especially educational support and behavioral support. Here are my observations of Austin in the classroom. I will give you what I see at this time, but we are early in the classroom year. These things can change over the next few months.

Yes, Austin prefers quiet. As a matter of fact, he prefers quiet AND small groups. He typically chooses free play in areas where 8 or less children are playing. His favorite area for free play is the art table, where he verbally interacts with students and adults. He negotiates for items, using turn taking and trading skills, both verbal and nonverbal. This is not to say that he is a regular jabber box, but rather that he does use his verbal skills--they are not unheard of at school.
As far as population sensitivity goes, Austin will approach the art table as the first child there, or as a later occupant, when several students occupy it. I have yet to see Austin enter a group that contains a larger number of students, especially those students who tend to be on the loud side. But with the addition of marble towers as a free time choice next week, this may change, as marble towers really spark a natural interest he has in engineering.

Austin is sensitive to the way others see him. He does want to be seen as smart and big. Since his natural size is smaller than most of his peer group (he knows this and I think feels inferior sometimes) I emphasize his strength and speed. If you are ever financially and time-wise able, martial arts will thoroughly round out Austin's self image. Found in the art of Kenpo Karate for instance, are clear techniques for eliminating height in an opponent. This will give Austin power to work around the obvious and self esteem that comes from knowing that he can do big things and advance in belt colors to show it is true.

Austin is exceptionally bright and is above grade level in all areas. If gifted programming or advanced placement opportunities exist in his schooling, he will fly with them. If he continues to exhibit giftedness, the NOVA school in Olympia specializes in Hi-Q middle school population. If I know that Austin has a certain area of expertise, I will let him know that I will call on him at circle time to help us understand or remember something. That way, he does not feel shy, but instead becomes a partner with me in teaching. He really likes to have the right answer, and enjoys sharing his news, such as his new puppy, which was announced at snack time. Although he announced it to me, it was also appreciated by other students. I'm sure we'll hear more about it.

As far as being a picky eater, I don't see this at school during snack, unless it is an unusual item, not normally found in the typical pre-schooler's snack genre. In which case, he is not the only student to refuse that item. Many studies have recently come forward after years of twin studies and now generally conclude that fear of new foods and general pickiness (not induced by environmental factors) are as high as 99% inherent at the source.

As far as food textures causing vomiting, I have yet to see that as well. I think that this alone does not put Austin in the category of asperger, etc. as most of us have certain foods that we just feel like we're gonna lose it when we try that item.


About hair twirling. Most children this age have some sort of self-stim that comforts themselves. The trouble comes when thumb sucking disturbs teeth alignment, or when hair twirling results in bald spots. Or when self-stim hides more serious complications such as ulcers, or precede extreme anxiety rituals such as willful vomiting. Austin can gain control over hair by opening a styling salon for stuffed animals complete with scissors and spray bottles of water. This may give him a fix on hair stim that lasts and will give him something to look forward to while learning to leave his own hair alone. But great carefulness must be used here, as when he is asked to not twirl hair, we may be removing a way toward comfort.



Austin is quiet, well behaved and has excellent manners. He is exceptionally bright. His syntax and pronoun forms are correct. He has compassion for others and knows when they and himself are hurt. He uses due caution and observes safety rules. He participates in all aspects of his school day, even the music. He does not limit his choices on the job chart to ones that allow invisibility, such as snack helper. He often chooses jobs that require public forum. His motor skills are at or above grade level.

Those are my observations of Austin. One day he will be all grown up and the head of his own household. I will be proud to say that he was my friend a long time ago.

Teacher Colleen

And one more:

Hi Jessica!

Thanks for the update concerning Austin's check-up and subsequent referral. Keep me posted.

In the meantime, I know you will welcome this update from school, as today was a "break out" day for Austin.

It began when Austin walked right past the tables and into the free play area, stopping at the puzzle shelves. He joined a group of 6 children, and then chose his own puzzle to work on--the fire truck puzzle. Catcher joined him to help with the final pieces and viola!

Next, Austin went to recess. I turned around just in time to see him standing near the climbing bars, holding the back of his pants and beginning to walk toward me. "He fell.", reported one of our parents. So I walk to Austin, who has not even a tear, (you have to love this next part...), and ask him. "Austin, did you fall off the bars?". He answers in a way that is meant to correct me, "I fell off of the top."

I understood immediately that he did not want comfort, but recognition for having made it up and then for being able to endure a fall from such an 'extreme' height. (I'm still not sure of the details as to which bar, only that Austin is duly impressed with himself) As a precaution, I offer the opportunity to sit in a chair until it feels better. And I follow with a He-Man offer to see if he can beat me at tag, even after his fall.......

Of course, Austin immediately opts to win me at tag. We are joined by Jake, Kaitlin, and soon a host of others. Austin continued to play even when I stopped, and played tag with Maddix even when the other children had moved on to other activities.

We also welcomed new student Hayden into our class today, who is approx. the same size as Austin and as articulate. I will encourage them to become friends.

Teacher Colleen

I still feel grateful to her and the wonderful start she gave Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment