Austin: This year, Austin began the Third Grade. He seemed to be excited about it, after a long and fairly uneventful summer.The morning school started I asked him if I could take him to school. He said that would be fine, but the camera would not be allowed. We got to the school, and he got nervous in a hurry. He gave me a quick side hug, and then tried to join the class, but soon returned right to my side in tears.I was so surprised! Even in Kindergarten he had held back his nervous tears. I told him to go to the bath room, cool down and relax, and that I would wait before leaving. He came back after a few minutes and said, "I just don't know what to do!" I told him to go sit at his desk and wait for instructions. I hugged him and then quickly walked away. It gave me such a sick feeling to know how uncomfortable he must have been feeling. I worried about him all day. After driving into town I stopped by the school when I knew he would be at recess and found him in the mass of kiddos just to make sure he looked happy. He was running and playing with friends so that made me feel a bit better. When he came home happily chatting about how great third grade will be I felt much, much better.
Looking back now on his first day, I am wondering how much the tears and anxiety had to do with his best friend, Calvin, whom had been in his class since Kindergarten,moving away. He had a new teacher after a two year loop and was in a new classroom.It might have just been too many new changes for a fairly sensitive kiddo.We are several months into school now, and Austin is doing great. He seems to have plenty of friends and fits in fine.
Ellie: Ellie started her third year of preschool this year. We chose a new one, Peace Lutheran, This year because of its five day Kindergarten prep class. Ellie did great during the first week, and then threw me for a loop with tears for her second week. I am glad it was short lived. This was Ellie's first year joining a class in which she knew no one. All in all, she did fine with that and is enjoying the class a lot. We are a few months in now, and although she is having a great time going, I am not having such a great time taking and picking her up five days a week. I am considering cutting it down to three days a week to cut down on gas cost and driving time. She is socially and academically ready for Kindergarten already, so I am certain she would do fine with a little less formal school for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment